Lukens to Gruet Connection Gives Wellesley FH Double OT Win at Trinity

Lukens to Gruet Connection Gives Wellesley FH Double OT Win at Trinity

HARTFORD, Conn. – The Wellesley College field hockey team erased a late second-half deficit and then scored the game-winner in double overtime, topping Trinity College on the road on Wednesday evening. The Blue had their toughest contest of the season, but kept their unbeaten streak alive, moving to 6-0 in 2014. The Bantams dip to 2-2, dropping their first home contest of the season.

Wellesley senior Nathalie Gruet deflected a shot past Trinity junior goaltender Sophie Fitzpatrick with 9:53 remaining in double overtime for the game winner. Off a penalty corner, the Blue senior Lallie Lukens fired a shot towards goal and Gruet tipped it into the top left corner of the net.

The back-and-forth contest saw three lead changes and two ties. Wellesley struck first as junior Hannah Flesch fired a shot on goal that was stopped and sent the rebound past Fitzpatrick just under five minutes into the game. Six minutes later, Trinity knotted the score at one as first-year forward Kelcie Finn netted the first of her two goals on the evening. Senior Sophie Doering  picked up the assist after firing a shot on goal off a corner.

Both squads traded opportunities throughout the remainder of the first half before entering halftime tied 1-1.

In the second half, the Bantams took a 2-1 advantage as junior forward Olivia Tapsall ripped a shot on goal and Finn dove for the loose ball and knocked it past Wellesley netminder Lucy Hurlock with a little under ten minutes remaining in regulation. Through her first four collegiate games, Finn has a team-leading eight goals.

After falling behind, the Blue turned on the offensive pressure peppering Fitzpatrick with shots. With under one minute remaining, sophomore Courtney Peterson broke through for Wellesley and netted the equalizer.

Throughout the first overtime, neither team could capitalize on their chances. Both teams drew a penalty corner in the first extra session, but came up empty. In the extra period, Trinity had a shot turned away before Gruet would send the visitors home victorious.

Hurlock made 12 saves to pick up her sixth win of the year for Wellesley, while Fitzpatrick turned aside a season-high 13 shots in a losing effort for Trinity.

Wellesley held a 21-20 advantage in shots and had 11 penalty corners to the Bantams five.

The Blue will open conference play on Saturday, traveling to Wheaton for a 1:00pm NEWMAC clash. Trinity returns to action on Saturday hosting NESCAC foe Colby at 11:00am.